Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Holy Trigger Warnings, Batgirl!

I wish they hadn't pulled the Batgirl cover.


Before we begin, let me issue: A trigger warning. No, seriously; a very real one. In discussing this, I'm going to go Full Frontal and tell you some personal experiences that are going to make you feel really squicky inside. You're going to have to deal with it; the masses can complain enough to cancel a cover, but you can't erase my true life experience. 

Some background: Recently, DC issued a Batgirl cover as part of a "Joker appreciation month" deal, which had a callback to the Killing Joke, in which the Joker sexually and physically abuses Barbara Gordon, leaving her disabled, broken, and humiliated on a whim. 

It's a sore spot for people because it's… well you know, horrifying. And he's not even attacking Barbara Gordon to attack Barbara Gordon; she's a pawn in his plan to hurt others.



The controversial cover portrays Joker holding a gun downwards at Batgirl, having drawn a crude Joker smile onto her face in.. paint, blood? Who knows. She has true fear in her eyes. He is smiling and holding her with casual ownership. I can tell you personally, it definitely inspires some truly painful gut feelings.


Let's flash back for a second. It's the summer of 2008; a young Dangrrr Doll is brutally, helplessly in love with an abusive sociopathic lying sonofabitch. 

Baby Dangrrr, much like Current Dangrrr, was not much of a masochist. But I was addicted to this man. Emotional abuse is a crazy thing folks. I was trapped in a Harley Quinn prism, brainwashed, isolated from my friends, trained to think I was terrible and could do no better.

In June 2008, on a day much like any other day, I went to see his shitty punk band play at one of the bars we'd frequented. The catch of it was, the girl he was fucking behind my back was there. Ok- it wasn't super behind my back. I knew it was happening. But I'd been told I was "just" crazy and paranoid so many times that I talked myself out of my own knowledge.

Anyway I guess he "didn't expect me to come," even though he'd told me I was a piece of shit if I didn't come. He manufactured a lot of circumstances like this. One time, my house lost power and so he told me I could go over to his place in the morning to take a shower before I went to work, told me he would leave the door unlocked for me and that I should come wake him up to say hi before I left. And of course, I went there, as I was told to, and found him with another girl in his bed. DELIGHTFUL.

So here we are at this show. He gets drunk as hell, and she leaves in a huff. He grabs me and says "FUCK that bitch! She shouldn't have come anyway! Drive me home." Well, I did, but he stopped me halfway there. Dragged me out of the car into a cornfield, threw me down and fucked me while I cried and screamed no, stop! 

The rest of the way home, he yelled at me for "ruining and complicating his life." By the time we got to his house I was sobbing violently and shaking. He shoved a blunt knife into my hands and goaded me to end my worthless life.

After almost an hour of this, when I finally started scratching away at the skin on my wrists, he quickly grabbed my hand. "You idiot," he laughed, "I was only joking!" and with that, laughing like a schoolboy, he skipped inside his house.

About two weeks later I tried to break things off, so he smashed a lamp over my head, then cried hysterically in the bathtub holding a razor to his own wrist this time until I apologized for making him feel bad.



Mine was the epitome of the Harley/Joker romance. A sociopath manipulating and abusing a once-intelligent woman into an empty shell of a hopeless soul, all for amusement and little else? Yeah, that was me.

Ok, so now you know that this is sort of personal for me, right? That's clear? Do you feel uncomfortable? Good, you should. 

Here's what I hate about Harley Quinn: she cannot be saved. She has been torn down into nothing; she savors her own abuse, starved for any attention at all from her drug, the Joker. She will do anything for him, anything: Even kill herself. She is defeated. And she is ever present in nerd culture.

This is why we need that Batgirl cover. We NEED that Batgirl cover. 

I know what you're thinking: Why, Dangrrr!? Why would you want to be confronted with those feelings?

The Joker is a sociopathic, psychopathic, crazy smart lunatic who loves to torture for little to no reason. He's also a representation of an actual sort of person that populates the real world, sans the clown schtick. If we pretend that the Joker does not exist, if we hide the Joker deep inside…. people like the Joker are given more power to hurt us.  Do you think removing sexual violence from literature is going to erase it from the world? You are only hiding the problem, which allows it to fester and grow even further unchecked. Banning books and banning book covers was never, EVER the way to education. What sort of backwards thinking have we succumbed to as a society?

We need strong abuse survivors in pop culture to look up to, acknowledge, respect.. Barbara Gordon was paralyzed but instead of letting that trauma ruin her life, she rose up and became Oracle. She overcame her history and became a stronger person because of it. 

When I was in my abusive relationship, I lost the ability to cry for over a year. I stopped expressing any emotion, fear, or pain; it was too much to handle. I made myself numb to the outside world. I could barely breathe, let alone cry. And if somehow I did manage to tear up, I got beaten down. If I expressed fear, I was abused. Batgirl crying on that cover shows me that she still has hope. Her fear means she is still trying to think of ways to escape. Thinking of ways to escape means she has not been defeated. It means she can turn this thing around.

Unlike how people often romanticize the Joker/Harley dynamic, absolutely noone can deny the onesided abusiveness of that cover. Noone will be seduced into thinking rape is okay by viewing it. However, they will be reminded that villains are out there doing unspeakable things, so unspeakable that even their slightest implication will create scandal far more easily than the outright graphic portrayal of violent murder. We need to admit that sexual violence is real, and that villains like the Joker will rape if they are able to rape, because if we can pretend that he would never do something like that- I mean for fuck's sake, if the Joker, pure chaotic evil, would never rape someone, how could you ever convince a jury that a frat boy or a straight A student or a CEO would? 

Comics are the twitter of literature, easily digestable for short attention spans. Don't you want to teach younger generations that sexual violence isn't ok? Because honestly, Batgirl is a perfect place for that lesson. Showing that a strong superheroine like Batgirl can still be affected by sexual abuse will teach that sexual abuse survivors aren't "just weaklings". It will teach them that everyone, EVERYONE can fall victim to abuse. And then when you show Batgirl rising up, destroying the Joker, clearly confronting that history and then defining herself as more than just the victim from the Killing Joke- that's important. You help give abuse survivors hope; you help show moldable minds that sexual abuse has dire consequences; you help bring awareness to a huge, often-censored problem- as we're seeing now. Especially with its current team bring such badass feminist energy to the comic, this is the perfect time to show Batgirl dealing with the same problem that that majority of women on this Earth have to deal with at some point in their lives.

And in some ways, they did! Gail Simone particularly spent some time on Batgirl's PTSD and reclaiming her life when she wrote for the series. Why hush it up now? I keep seeing in the articles I've read that one of the main reasons this cover was an issue is because the series has been trying to move past that part of Barbara's history. Well I'm sorry to say it but it is still part of her history, and that cover is probably the image that would pop up in Batgirl's mind when thinking about herself and the Joker, whether she's past it or not. (The next image in her head of course is probably of her grabbing the gun and punching him smack in the jaw before shooting him in the nuts. Bam! Pow!)

Listen, it's been six years since my abuse ended and I am totally on with my life- I'm happy, able to have normal relationships, very good at saying no, and also pretty good at saying yes when the mood strikes. But I will always, always have it in my history. I have it, I acknowledge it, and I'm not going to pretend it didn't happen just because it makes other people uncomfortable. And yep, every now and then- like right now, writing this blog post- I think about the pain I felt and I cry; and then I smile at my victory in being able to feel that pain and still be a totally kickass human being.


Whether the cover should have been produced in the first place is a different story perhaps, but once created, it certainly should not have been taken back. Some have claimed that the production of that cover is an anti-feminist move, but there is nothing more anti-feminist than quieting the truths of the reality we face daily. There is no progress in that. If you think she can only be strong if this part of her character is ignored, then you are inherently calling her weak. This trauma is part of what makes her so strong, just like Batman having watched his parents get murdered is part of what makes him so strong. They have both risen above and become not just survivors, but superheroes. They both have reasons to want to dish out justice. Let Batgirl claim her history as her history, instead of banishing it to be another story that only affects the history of the men involved. 

30 comments:

  1. Absolutely the best arguments in favor of the cover I've yet to read. Society shouldn't need the reminder, but abuse also shouldn't happen or be such a prevalent fixture in our culture. Until that changes...

    In adversity, we find our strength.

    -Fen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliantly put. I understand why people don't want that cover, and that's exactly why we should have it. Appreciate your strength in sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article! I loved it, but I'm curious as to why you would use the word "fucked" when recounting a rape?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weird that a rape survivor has to justify her use of language to a stranger on the internet.

      Delete
    2. Lol, keep calm just asking a question Chelsea. Having dealt with quite a few sexual assault in the past, I just never heard a victim use that word to describe what happened to them...

      Delete
    3. I simply wanted my story to speak strongly enough on its own without a flashing neon sign. Which I think it clearly did since you read it that way :) Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  4. But-but the cover had nothing to do with the story!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the alternative covers weren't meant to match the stories inside, i don't think.

      Delete
    2. From what I understand (I haven't read the comic) Barbara is facing another destructive maniac and she doesn't want others to feel as powerless as the Joker made her feel.

      Delete
  5. Dangrrr Doll:
    Thank you for sharing your story. You have my deepest sympathies for the horrible abuse your ex heaped upon you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So awesome, brave and true. Every word.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very touched by your experience, and I am greatly moved by your strength, your honesty, and your passion. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent and powerful writing. Your use of language tells me that you've owned you're past, not minimized or deflected it. You are absolutely awesome and a true role model. I hope my daughter never experiences what you've endured, but if she heard stories like yours, she'll not only know what to avoid but what a strong survivor is. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing your story. I hope that writers, artists, and creative choice-makers can recognize that strength without vulnerability isn't really authentic. Your story (and Batgirl's) is empowering. Much, much respect to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing, Awesome and other such over-abused words are spot on in describing you, Dangrrr Doll, and your courageous triumph over such vicious abuse and brutality! You and other survivors like you are the real-life super heroes we should all be celebrating! Thank you so much for sharing your smart, well-reasoned and eloquently-articulated thoughts on DC's shameful and cowardly capitulation in removing this Batgirl cover and dulling its message!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing. I would like to point out that 1 in 3 girls / women experience sexual assault and 1 in 6 boys / men experience sexual assault. So, your eloquently articulated point goes even farther than most people realize.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In every way you are right. Perhaps there is a question as to IF it should have been created, but once created it should not have been taken back. Those of us in the world who have survived terrible things shouldn't have to pretend like they didn't exist for the comfort of others that want to pretend like bad things don't happen.

    Bad guys win. They do terrible things, and worst of all they EXIST in reality with us every day. If we don't admit that they do, if we don't confront them and give our future generations examples of how to fight them, live on after they face those monsters themselves, we doom them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, While I can sympathize a bit with the sexual abuse, I feel I need to play Devil's Advocate. See I was a victim of sexual abuse at a very early age so I am no stranger to the subject and while I can't say that relates to your past experiences, it does give me some room to talk. Coming from a background of this kind of abuse I know how easy it is to demonize someone who harmed you. But reality isn't like comic books. There is no pure personification of evil like the Joker in real life. (I'll even get to the Joker portion in a moment.) I had to live with my attacker and his abuse for years on end, being an adult now I know that the situation was vastly more complicated than him just being evil. I could spend hours painting my attacker as a monster, but that gives him more weight than he deserves. He was human and made mistakes. Mistakes I know he has to live with. I don't revel in that and I'm not saying you have to forgive your abuser. But relating him to the Joker seems a bit off base. But I applaud you for getting out of that situation before it was too late.

    Now that I spoke my peace on that portion, I'll adress the Joker part. The notion that Joker sexually abused Barbra is correct, but the notion that he raped her is not. In the Killing Joke, Joker does undress Barbra, but it is never stated he had raped her. Frankly that's just been fan speculation for years, but considering the author is Alan Moore, he doesn't seem the type to shy away from that kind of material. However that same fan theory is kind of what sparked the over reaction to this cover. A lot of people just heard Joker may have raped Barbra and got all up in arms about having the cover banned. While Barbra was sexually abused in the sense that she was undressed against her will, I take issue with the fact that you're stating Joker is capable of things he did not do. Is Joker capable of rape? Yes. He is capable of whatever the writer intends of him. But just because he is evil does not mean he does not have any morals. A loose example of this is that Joker doesn't associate with racists. An odd quirk, but he finds it beneath him. Joker is a sadistic asshole for sure but he is a character, one that can usually be bent to the will of whoever is writing him. In the case of Joker being a rapist in the Killing Joke and the main canon, Joker is not a rapist. However in an alternate universe of Brian Azzarello's Joker, he is a rapsist. (Comics are weird.)

    The whole point of my spiel is that while I think your heart is in the right place, I just think this topic wasn't the right stage to address it. This is coming from a comic fan who knows a thing or two about the subjects at hand. You make a lot of valid points but they seemed a bit ill informed on the material. Keep doing what you're doing and take care - Andy C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then tell us Andy, when and where IS the right place for this? Some dark room in an office somewhere with a bunch of other victims and a shrink, hidden from public view so no one ever knows about it? Dangrrr Doll is spot on. Her abuser got away with what he did not because SHE allowed him to do it, but because SOCIETY allowed him to do it. Ask her if she ever called the police and what they ever did, if anything to him. I guarantee the response will be nothing, because he never actually 'breaks' the law. Then when they leave she gets abused again for calling the cops. Forums like the one above are the PERFECT place to bring attention to this subject. Perhaps a young person will someday see that comic and come to understand what exactly the victim is going through, and grow up to become a police officer, and that experience will allow them to go just that extra little bit to help the victim out instead of just walking away and doing nothing. Again. The hardest part in working with people in situations like these is that ultimately they are the one's who have to make the choice to walk away and seek help. The problem is everything the abuser does is to condition them to not make that choice. Most of the time, for them to make that choice, they need someone else to tell them that they're worth it to save themselves.

      Delete
    2. Hi Andy!

      Rape or not, the act of undressing a woman against her will, which means touching her naked body against her will, to take photos of her against her will…. after you've massively injured her against her will…. is clearly sexual assault. There is undeniably explicit sexual assault of Barabara Gordon in the Killing Joke. I know of course that there is no explicit rape.

      The rest is a matter of opinion- to think that men who are not racists must not be capable of being rapists is a little blind, I think. And honestly, I think the Joker would sexually assault men and women alike, if he felt like it that day.

      And you are right: obviously there are lots of complicated things that go into a sexual abuser's creation;, but in the same way, the Joker was not born from wisps and illusion. His assuredly complicated though generally mysterious past may also be very tragic and sympathetic, but that doesn't change the fact that the horrible evil things he does now, are horrible evil things.

      Delete
    3. Its YA lit. Which is *not* the right format for the subject. Instead of survival they should be teaching empowerment and prevention. The point is that Title is written for teenage girls. She takes selfies mid crime fighting. The tone is entirely wrong. And, just because this title is the wrong place that doesn't mean something like Birds of Prey ( which has a more mature audience ) wouldn't be perfectly fitting to address the subject. In fact Oracle *was* on Birds of Prey.

      Delete
  14. I haven't fully read this yet but I had to comment. Why demean yourself? Why give yourself to a worthless man who clearly had literally no respect for you? If you're young and naive I can understand. but to blindly follow someone and take punishment from them with no good side to it..what is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PLEASE read the whole post before asking this question seriously. You must have not be aware of the emotional and mental abuse that comes in relationships like these. It's easy for those who have no idea, to say that they can just leave.

      *Sorry if there are multiple replies, commenting on a phone

      Delete
    2. Hi there! Well, the relationship of course didn't start out that way- it never does! Similarly to the experiences shared with me by other abusive relationship survivors, my ex seemed straight out of a fairy tale when we first started dating. As soon as I was head over heels for him, it's almost like he flipped a switch and became a completely different person. And when something like that happens, and you can't understand why the walls are falling down around you, it is very easy to fall into the trap of letting yourself be convinced that you did this to yourself, and that you deserve every cruelty- even when you - or in this situation, I- have actually done nothing at all. This is pretty textbook sociopath.

      If you check out the wikipedia entry on power in abusive relationships under "control development", it's actually a pretty great summary of how all this happens. It is terrifying.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_and_control_in_abusive_relationships

      Delete
    3. Oh God! another "why didn't you just leave" type. I just love Pollyannas who have never been in this situation who don't understand what MASTERS of manipulation sociopathic men can be. They weave a web that's very planned and they do it VERY well. Dangrr Doll gave you a great link so check it out princess!

      Delete
  15. I let my daughter watch wonder woman just because of the pivotal role and message she sends... I would totally let Natalie learn about that topic from bat girl and rising above...

    ReplyDelete
  16. You rock. You absolutely rock. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, and for being so open and honest.

    ReplyDelete
  17. From the perspective of someone with the comic book culture angle I feel like I'd be remiss the longer I go without saying anything. The image itself is a powerful piece of art, its intent? to make you feel to stir those emotions within you to engage you in the story that is about to unfold before you. The Killing Joke is a masterpiece and a definitive part of DC's history, it has shaped all of the players in the story over the years and to have people say that the image is offensive just seems to come more from a place out of context.

    Firstly DC nor its writers support the Joker's behavior, he is vilified in everything he does, designed as a confrontational and dark character there is no point where the writers or artists have rewarded this behavior. It always ends with a savage beating from the man in black and a long (often not long enough) stint in Arkham or Blackgate. For me this is not an endorsement.

    I feel the idea of "rape culture" is one where there is no response. It's painted with the brush of a debate or discussion and its very easy for both parties to be offended. Thus I am not going to take part in that particular discussion. What I will say is that sweeping stuff like this under the rug and pretending events like the Killing Joke didn't happen can be just as damaging. It furthers the idea that if we bury rape and it's victims and hide it from the public eye then we can get by. As long as we don't see it we're ok with it? The Killing Joke was released in 1988 and this event has been a cornerstone in Barbara's (Batgirl's) story, its a simple case of comic book fans like me read the story and get engrossed in it. To us it is as though a story that has deeply moved us through trials, tragedy and tribulations is under attack. Even the idea that Barbara's story like the image should be buried is incredibly heartbreaking.

    Lastly the image is taken out of context. Sure if we look at that image as a stand alone picture it has a sexual predator vibe to it. But if you've read Killing Joke the art is nostalgic and digs up all the right feelings for a Joker / Batgirl showdown.

    This is a personal opinion nothing more, but this is from the perspective of someone who loves comic books and like millions of others I learned what was the difference between a person and a hero from these books. If anything people need to read and digest the Killing Joke as a graphic novel before they begin lighting torch and pitchforks.

    ReplyDelete